What Should You Not Do While Deer Hunting?
As with any type of hunting, there are certain things you should not do while deer hunting. Here are a few things to avoid:
- Don’t shoot unless you’re absolutely certain of your target. Make sure you have a clear line of sight and that there are no other animals or people in the vicinity.
- Don’t use baited traps or blinds. This is considered unfair chase and is illegal in many states.
- Don’t shoot from a moving vehicle. Not only is this dangerous, but it’s also illegal.
- Don’t stalk deer. This means approaching them stealthily in an attempt to get close enough for a shot. Deer are very alert and will likely detect you long before you get close enough for a shot.
- Don’t shoot a deer that’s bedded down. Unless you’re absolutely certain you can make a clean kill shot, it’s best to wait until the deer gets up and is moving around.
- Don’t shoot a deer with young. Unless you’re planning on harvesting the entire animal, it’s best to avoid shooting does with fawns.
- Don’t shoot a deer at night. It’s illegal to hunt deer at night in most states.
- Don’t shoot a deer from an elevated position. This includes shooting from a tree stand or from a hillside.
- Don’t use artificial lights to spot deer. This is considered shining and is illegal in many states.
- Don’t shoot a deer on someone else’s property without permission. This is trespassing and is punishable by law.
What time of day is best to deer hunt?
The best time of day to deer hunt according to many studies, is the hour before sunset. The deer are most active during this time, as they are coming out of their bedding areas to feed.
Many hunters believe that the hour before sunrise is also a good time to hunt, as the deer are moving from their feeding areas back to their bedding areas.
However, the deer are much more difficult to see during this time, so hunters must be extra careful.
How can I get better at deer hunting?
In order to become a better deer hunter, one must be willing to put in the time and effort to learn about deer behavior, study deer tracks, and practice their shooting skills. Additionally, it is important to choose the right hunting gear and to be in good physical shape.
Knowing the deer’s behavior
One of the most important aspects of deer hunting is knowing the deer’s behavior. Deer are creatures of habit and tend to follow the same patterns day after day. By becoming familiar with these patterns, hunters can increase their chances of success.
Read deer tracks
In addition to knowing the deer’s behavior, it is also important to be able to read deer tracks. This skill will help hunters to determine where the deer have been and where they are likely to go.
Practicing shooting skills
Practicing shooting skills is also essential for success. Hunters should make sure that they are comfortable and proficient with their chosen weapon. They should also practice shooting at various distances and in different types of terrain.
Choose the right hunting gear
Finally, it is important to choose the right hunting gear. This includes clothing that will help hunters to blend in with their surroundings, as well as equipment that is designed to make the hunting process easier.
By following these tips, hunters can increase their chances of success and have more enjoyable deer hunting experiences.